Sunday, October 26, 2008

One Dance To Rule Them All!

So the babe and I went to a family wedding yesterday... Now I've done things before with her family (which is huge by the way - not to mention, out of the norm in the way of gossiping, so you can imagine the downfall that we got the first few times we did things together that involved family) random gatherings, a holiday last year, things like that. Obviously, a wedding far exceeds the number of attendants that might be at a family holiday gathering, but nothing challenging for me. I'm definitely a people person. I don't have a problem what-so-ever getting out there and chatting it up with a group of people that I have never met before. So I hear wedding, and I think fun!

We had a relaxing morning, took our time getting ready... I even ironed the clothes that we were going to wear that night, so by the time we were heading out the door, we looked pretty great if I do say so myself!

We get to the reception hall, and I can feel eyes already. You have to remember, we are talking small town Wisconsin here... Not that many "out" couples you find walking around at wedding receptions together. So anyway, I don't mind the eyes, and neither does she, so we walk in with no care in the world, other than each other and the activities that will come out of looking great, eating good food, drinking free alcohol, and getting home to have our own fun! :-) We find a huge crew of her immediate family who we spend the most of the night with from that point on. Her family is really cool with our relationship, so we have no worries in their company. I mean, it would be stupid to not think that they don't talk a little bit when we aren't there, but they are nothing but respectful and loving when with us, and surprisingly enough, up to this point, we haven't heard any backlash from family members that others are talking about us. Pretty good news I guess!

It does have to be said, that we both like to push the button a little bit when it comes to people staring at us, mostly those who aren't family. However, if we see any looks headed in our direction, we definitely make a point to give each other a few smooches just to help people understand that what they are looking at is definitely what they see! :-) I know this is kind of bad... but we enjoy teasing people a little bit! So, great coversation starts up (of course including a substantial amount of gossip towards those who aren't present at the function - we try to stay out of these conversations in order to remain in good standing with the family, the last thing we need is pissed off family at us), good food is served, and eventually some decent music starts up.

After a few hours of mingling and watching some dancing the end of the night is rapidly approaching, and my baby is getting lots of crap for not being out on the dance floor. Apparently she was a staple on the dance floor, prior to me, in her younger days. All I have known from her is complete avoidance of even the word "dance." Anyway, a little cousin got her out on the dance floor and I took that prime opportunity to take a great picture. A couple other cousins got me out on the floor for a few songs (I love to dance by the way...), so I think we were both feeling it when a classic 80's Hair Band ballad comes on. "Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse. Now I have always loved this song, as I am a solid fan of the 80's Hair Bands. Unexpectedly, she turns to me and says, "Lets dance, baby." I was so surprised that I didn't even know how to respond. So obviously I said yes to take the opportunity. It was just one of those really cool moments... Unexpected and awesome. I think she has only ever danced with me once in the safe privacy of our apartment when unpacking after we had just moved in!

So whats going through my head, outside of some serious happiness and not being able to pull the smile from my face... "Wow... this is one of my first real 'out' moments." I then take a quick look around the room to find out exactly how many people are peeking at our/my big moment. I was surprised to only see a little more than a handful of people were looking at the sweet lesbian action that was taking place on that small dance floor. What pleased me so much about that moment is that there were more people in that crowd that really didn't give a shit, and if they did, then they respected us and our moment. Even the bride shot us a little smile....



No comments: